The Outreach Hospice services have been developed in partnership with County Durham NHS Primary Care Trust, Sedgefield and Durham Dales localities, to bring hospice services closer to those who would benefit from them.
These localities are very rural in nature and cover a large area. It was found to be difficult for patients to access services available in Bishop Auckland from some areas particularly in winter.
With the help of the PCT, who provide the accommodation and other local services, the Hospice was able to put together teams of professionals and volunteers who bring the mixture of Hospice services into the community hospitals.
Butterwick offers a wide range of services through the Outreach centres to both patients and their families free of charge.
What is Available?
- The chance to meet other people with similar problems in a safe, friendly environment.
- The opportunity to discuss your worries or symptoms with specialist nurses and other specialist clinical practitioners to achieve control of any troublesome symptoms associated with your illness.
- Diversional activities such as crafts, artwork, quizzes for those who want to participate but there is no obligation to join in if you do not wish to do so.
- The opportunity to enjoy an aromatherapy massage. Aromatherapy and counselling can also be offered as an outpatient service and in certain circumstances can be extended to home visits.
- The Chiropodist visits the Hospice monthly. If you wish to make use of this service please let us know.
- Specialist physiotherapy is available and is tailored to your individual needs.
Our Outreach services are held at the following community hospitals:
Sedgefield Community Hospital hosts the Outreach service every Wednesday and currently accommodates 14 patients. Tel: 01740 626684.
The Outreach Hospices provide all of the Day Care services you would expect from the main hospice at Bishop Auckland or Stockton. Through these services we try to bring hospice care closer to those that want it.
Weardale Community Hospital in Stanhope hosts the Outreach service every Thursday and currently accommodates 10 patients. Tel: 01388 528233.
As in the Bishop Auckland and Stockton Hospices patients enjoy many creative and diversional therapies such as art classes. People who have never painted before have found they have a talent that has lain undiscovered. Patients are able, with a little help, to create artwork that their families and friends cherish.
Richardson Hospital in Barnard Castle hosts the Outreach service every Monday and currently accommodates 10 patients. Tel: 01833 696500.
Friday's Day Hospice at the Richardson is specifically for patients suffering from life limiting neurological illnesses. The Neurological Service is also available at Bishop Auckland and includes services for patients suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, Motor Neurone Disease and Parkinsons Disease.
For more information about the services or to refer a patient to the service please contact the Registered Manager at Butterwick Hospice at Bishop Auckland on 01388 603003 email email@example.com